Broad and General Education:
The pupils at Pilrig Park are engaged in enjoyable activity in order to increase their awareness of the benefits of regular exercise. The PE Department assists pupils to advance their fine and gross motor skills through participation in a wide variety of activities including fitness, ball skills and racquet games, and athletics.
In addition to developing their physical well-being, we encourage the pupils to adopt correct attitudes and behaviour during inter-action in physical activity both as an individual and as part of a team.
BGE is planned through the Es and Os at Early, First, Second and some experiences at Third Level of Curriculum for Excellence.
- Developing skills and techniques.
- Adopting different roles within a variety of activities.
- Participation in Individual and Group activities.
- Introduction to basic rules and scoring.
- Working as part of a team.
- Self and peer assessment.
Literacy, Numeracy and Health and Wellbeing embedded.
Senior Phase: National 1/2/3
All senior pupils have the opportunity to be presented for a qualification in this subject area at an appropriate level.
They are encouraged to make positive choices regarding the use of their leisure time whilst at school and later in adult life.
- Demonstrating basic performance skills.
- Identifying and assisting with equipment.
- Demonstrating safe practice when taking part in physical activities.
- Recognising and describing physical effects of exercise on parts of the body.
- Skills development.
Literacy, numeracy and health and wellbeing embedded.
- Personal Achievement Awards: Personal Health and Promoting Health at National One/ Two
- Taking Part in an Individual Activity – National One
- Taking Part in a Group Activity – National One
- Taking Part in Physical Activities – National Two
- Factors Affecting Performance – National Two